A Murphy bed, also known as a wall bed or fold-down bed, is the perfect solution to a small living space. When you don’t need the extra space, it folds down against the wall out of sight, saving room for other items in your living space and preventing potential tripping hazards when you have guests over. While Murphy beds are relatively easy to install, taking one down and reassembling it can be a little tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. Here’s how to dismantle a Murphy bed in three easy steps.
The Anatomy of a Murphy Bed
A Murphy bed, also known as a wall bed, is a type of vertical bed that can be stored away in a closet or cabinet when not in use. The frame of a Murphy bed consists of four main parts: the headboard, the footboard, the side rails, and the mattress support. To dismantle a Murphy bed, you will need to remove these parts in reverse order from how they were assembled. newfashionlamp
Why Some People Can’t Open Their Murphy Beds
Many people have trouble opening their Murphy beds because they don’t know how to properly disengage the locking mechanism. Others may find that their bed is difficult to open because the frame has become warped over time. If you’re having trouble opening your Murphy bed, follow these simple steps:
- Start by disconnecting the electrical cord from the wall outlet.
- Next, remove any pillows or blankets that are on top of the mattress.
- Once you’ve done that, locate the two release levers on either side of the bed frame and pull them downwards.
- After the release levers have been disengaged, you should be able to lift up on the frame and fold it away from the wall.
Tools For Dismantling
In order to successfully dismantle your murphy bed, you will need a few tools. Firstly, you will need a screwdriver. Secondly, you will need a hammer. Thirdly, you will need a saw. Fourthly, you will need a drill. Fifthly, you will need a set of Allen wrenches. Sixthly, you will need a set of pliers. Seventhly, you will need an adjustable wrench.
Steps For Removing the Frame
- Start by removing the side rails.
- Then, remove the crossbars that connect the headboard and footboard.
- After that, take out the bolts that secure the bed to the wall.
- Next, remove the mattress support system.
- Finally, take off the headboard and footboard.
With these steps, you should now know how to dismantle a murphy bed! worldplaners
Unfolding the Bed
The first step is to fully open the bed. If there are any sheets or blankets on the bed, remove them. Once the bed is unfolded, take a look at how it is put together. There are usually four main components: two side panels, a headboard, and a footboard. The side panels will be attached to the headboard and footboard with either screws or bolts.
Making Sure Everything Works Properly
Before you start taking the bed apart, it’s important to make sure that all of the mechanisms are working properly. This includes checking that the springs are tight, the supports are in good condition, and that the frame is level. Once you’re sure everything is in working order, you can begin dismantling the bed.